Window shades are quickly becoming a popular window treatment because of their wide ranging versatility. Sorting through the many options that account for this, and and choosing what is right for your room can be overwhelming without expert advice.
Keep reading to learn about window shade basics, stock window shades vs. custom window shades, and 7 reasons to invest in Graber custom window shades.
Graber offers quality, craftsmanship, world-class customer service and products to fit every budget.
That matches Art’s Furniture & Carpet’s own business philosophy and the reason they have exclusively sold Graber window treatment solutions to their customers for over 20 years.
Window Shade Basics: Performance Features vs. Aesthetic Features
The various features of window shades tend to meld together when trying to decide what you want from your window shade, and it can all be a little overwhelming.
But we can really break them down into performance and aesthetic features.
· Light Control. Shades made from different materials allows for a range of opacity into the room such as blackout, room darkening, light filtering, or sheer. This enables you to control light, heat, and glare to specific to the needs in each room.
· Privacy. Different material options also allow for a variety of privacy controls as needed. Privacy can be further achieved with various lift configuration options.
· Better Energy Efficiency. Insulation capabilities may be important if you have older windows, want to keep new windows lasting longer without working harder, or if you are trying to keep out the winter cold and summer heat. The amount of energy efficiency will vary by material and the design style you choose. But for example, cellular shades with the honeycomb-shaped cell design can offer sound and thermal insulation capabilities, and some can offer R-value too.
· Cord Safety Features. Preventing potentially serious window cord accidents should always be a top concern, especially if you have children and pets in your home or business. Various lift configuration options are available, making it easy to choose what works for you.
· Softer, Smoother Look. The ‘continuous covering’ construction gives your room a soft, smooth look and feel with cleaner lines than drapes or curtains. Shades allow you to enhance your personal style while giving your room a distinctive flair.
· Shade Style. There are many shade styles to choose from and each offers its own features. Some available options are listed:
o Cellular Shades – The honeycomb-shaped cell design traps air for maximum energy efficiency.
o Roller Shades – Basic roll-up/pull-down.
o Roman Shades – Soft folds of fabric or natural material that can add energy efficiency.
o Pleated Shades –Pleats of varying widths, pre-formed into the fabric.
o Natural Shades – Natural and (usually) renewable materials such as wood, bamboo and other grasses.
· Material Type. The window shade material options include fabric, woven wood such as bamboo, rattan, reed, jute or other natural fibers, faux wood materials such as composite wood, or a PVC/vinyl , cellular fabric in a honeycomb-shaped design, or other materials.
· Lift Configuration. Industry response to serious window cord accidents, new cord safety features have been introduced in recent years. Four common options are available: (standard) free handing cord, continuous loop, bottom up/top down cordless lift, or motorized lift. Other lift options may also be available depending on additional shade styles not previously mentioned.
The Inter-Connection of Performance & Aesthetic Features
So what do these performance and aesthetic features mean for you? Here is a simple explanation of how the combinations of features work together:
· Some shade styles offer energy efficiency, while some offer more or less light blocking, etc.
· The shade material chosen will offer a certain degree of light, privacy, and energy efficiency.
· The lift configuration you choose will provide convenience and also offer you a range of light, privacy and energy efficiency options.
The key is to combine all three of these to get the comfort you desire while also reflecting your personal style and comfort level.
Stock Window Shades vs. Custom Window Shades
Stock window treatments that you typically find at big box stores, online, overstock and warehouse companies offer customers budget friendly options like the ones mentioned above. They certainly have their place in your life and we totally get that.
Stock Window Shades
But they also have limited options – whether that is the quality of the material and components such as cords, lift mechanisms and mounting hardware, or light, privacy or energy efficiency options. Limited options help keep the price point low, but it can also make it difficult for homeowners to get exactly what they want.
Homeowners are also responsible for measuring their window. With a recommended one-eighth inch grace on each side (for inside mounting and to minimize light seepage) there is not much room for error.
In-stock shades can usually be cut if needed by the store at no charge, but that means your measurements have to be precise! And if you measure wrong…well, you get the picture.
In many cases, installation is probably not too difficult.
However, extra attention will be needed to adjust the vane height of all shades in a room with multiple windows and sheer shades (a combination of sheer drapery fabric and blinds) so that it has an even look all around the room.
The most common stock shade warranties are limited to a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
Custom Window Shades
On the other hand, Custom window shades offer multiple options and features that are only available from high quality, custom manufacturers.
Let’s be honest. High quality window shades will not be the cheapest option for window treatment, compared to their in-stock cousins.
But, the benefit is shades that are made to your exact window dimensions from high quality materials, installed with sturdier hardware. Custom manufacturers also provide more décor style options and better warranties for homeowners than the warranties for in-stock items.
The result: your custom window shades become an investment in your home that will stay looking nice for decades to come.
There are several manufacturers to choose from, but we like Graber. Those are the ones we have sold at Art’s Furniture and Carpet for over 20 years.
Invest in Graber Custom Window Shades
Since Graber window treatments are what we recommend and sell, the rest of this article will talk about the 7 reasons we believe you should consider investing in Graber custom window shades.
And if you live in our service area of Phillips County, Montana, or the surrounding communities, we invite you to visit our showroom to look at our Graber display and feel the fabric swatches.
Our knowledgeable staff is here to discuss your needs and advise you which Graber product is the best solution.
Here are 7 Reasons to Invest in Graber Custom Window Shades:
1. Wide Variety of Styles. Graber window shades offer a wide variety of styles beyond the ones mentioned above, such as sheer, solar, layered and exterior solar shades. Whatever your room needs, Graber has a solution. They also have innovative solutions for specialty windows like skylights, arches and sliding glass doors.
2. Quality and Craftsmanship. Graber only uses premium fabrics, and quality components (cords lift mechanisms, mounting hardware). Shades come with a color coordinated head rail so there is no need for a valance.
3. Custom Built to Your Windows’ Specific Measurements. Properly fitted shades have no more than 1/8 inch spacing on each side of the window frame. Your shades have clean, finished edges so you don’t have to worry about fraying from the cutting process. And, since they are custom built, you can be assured of getting maximum energy efficiency and light control that you might not get from a stock cut shade.
4. Window Cord Safety Features. Window cord safety is a top priority in the construction of Graber window shades. Multiple options are available to help you prevent potentially serious window cord accidents. The Graber window treatment safety features chart allows you to compare all window treatment safety features by product type.
5. Limited Lifetime Warranty. With a high standard of quality, craftsmanship and service, every Graber product is covered by their Limited Lifetime Warranty. Read what is covered by the warranty for yourself. Art’s Furniture & Carpet is authorized to do warranty and will help you through the claim process should one be required.
6. Experienced Graber Product Advisor. Our staff at Arts Furniture & Carpet can help you determine the priority for your room and choose the performance and aesthetic features needed to ensure your shades meet your expectations and budget.
7. Guaranteed Custom Fit and Installation. When Art’s Furniture & Carpet measures, orders and installs your shades we guarantee the fit. All at no additional charge. This is especially important if blackout is one of your priorities. We take responsibility for making sure your shades are installed properly so they look great and hold up over time.
Explore Graber Window Treatment Options Online – Then See Samples At Art’s Furniture & Carpet
Want to explore Graber Window Treatments on your own? Check out their Graber Product Advisor page. Select the features you want your window shades to address from the Shape, Light/Privacy, Material and Solutions sections, and see Graber’s product recommendations.
You can also review product and feature options on this Graber Discover Your Best Solution chart.
If you live in the Art’s Furniture & Carpet service area, stop in the showroom to check out the product samples and swatches.
See and feel the value of Graber custom window shades.
Ask any questions you might have.
Julie and her team are happy to help you select the Graber window treatment that is right for your home or business.